Here’s Why You Need a Real Estate Lawyer
Buying or selling property? Then you need a lawyer to process the paperwork. Choose the right Real Estate lawyer to guide you through it, and to make sure that your best interests are always being looked after. That’s why we’ve been voted Best Lawyer in Hamilton for five years and counting.
If you’re buying or selling property, then you’ll need a lawyer to process the paperwork and help ensure that your best interests are being met in a fair manner through a thorough examination of all contracts.
Do I really need a lawyer to buy or sell my property in Ontario?
Yes, absolutely. In most property transactions in Canada, having a lawyer to close the deal is strictly necessary. But especially in Ontario, where only a Real Estate lawyer can legally transfer property titles. So, Real Estate lawyers are an essential investment when buying or selling property in Ontario. However, Real Estate lawyers offer many types of services that aid their clients in the purchasing or selling of a home. Ultimately, their job is to take all the legal matters related to the purchase and sale entirely off your hands.
Big life changes often come with big responsibilities, and a lot of paperwork. If you’re purchasing or selling your property, then you’ll need a lawyer to ensure that your best interests are being met, fairly. The buying or selling of a property can be one of the biggest decisions that a person makes in their lifetime. Choose the right Real Estate lawyer to handle all the legalities of this important transaction.
What does a Real Estate lawyer do?
The role of a Real Estate lawyer depends on what transaction their client is involved in, as either a Buyer or a Seller. Purchasing or selling your property will usually be one of the biggest investments or decisions that a person will make in their lifetime, so it’s essential to have a skilled Real Estate lawyer to guide you through it. Below is a partial list of duties that a Real Estate lawyer will take care of for you during this life-changing transaction.
Role of a Real Estate lawyer for a Buyer
- Review the Agreement of Purchase and all other legal documents
- Ensure there are no claims listed registered or on file against the property
- Arrange for title insurance
- Ensure you have a valid title upon closing
- Ensure property taxes are up to date
- Calculate the land transfer tax due on closing
- Draw up the mortgage documents
- Close the transaction and ensure all legal and financial conditions are met
- Exchange legal documents and keys with the seller’s lawyer
Role of a Real Estate lawyer as a Seller
- Review the Agreement of Sale and other legal documents before you sign
- Assist you with the negotiation of the terms and conditions
- Prepare the deed to your house
- Deal with and remedy title issues as they occur
- Close the transaction
- Ensure all legal and financial conditions have been met
- Exchange legal documents and keys with the Buyer’s lawyer